DISCOVER ODESSA EMPLOYMENT
About Discover Odessa
Discover Odessa is the Destination Marketing Organization for the city of Odessa, TX. The organizations main goal is to bring tourist and visitors to the area while showcasing everything that makes Odessa a unique and exciting destination. We actively use research and economic indicators to drive our marketing strategy to increase tourism in the city.
Our mission is to improve the quality of life in Odessa through travel and tourism by marketing and showcasing Odessa an attractive meeting and destination destination.
Job Title: Director
Department: Discover Odessa
Primary Function: Direct and Manage DO Services and Activities
Reports To: President/CEO
FLSA Status: Exempt
SUMMARY: The Director of Discover Odessa is responsible for overseeing administration of the department that markets Odessa through tourism, conventions, and sports.
ESSENTIAL DUTIES AND RESPONSIBILITIES include the following:
- Develop and direct the management and services of Discover Odessa as outlined in the services contract between the Chamber and the City of Odessa for both DO and SERP budgets
- Develop and supervise programs and events to promote Odessa as a convention site.
- Develop and supervise programs and procedures to disseminate information about facilities available in Odessa that can support conventions and events.
- Develop and supervise programs to promote Odessa as a destination for sporting events.
- Develop and supervise master listing of conventions, sporting events, exhibits, venues and records required for the efficient function of the department.
- Maintain positive relationships with hoteliers, meeting planners, local attractions and city officials.
- Conduct a staff retreat to evaluate past year’s work and present a department plan and program of work for the upcoming year.
- Develop and supervise an annual budget, in consultation with the President/CEO, for support of department activities.
- Develop and supervise plans to promote Odessa as an area tourism attraction. Work in conjunction with other cities to create new tourism programs. Publicize the existing tourism attractions.
- Recruit and interview candidates for open positions in the Discover Odessa Department and make recommendations to the President/CEO regarding hiring.
- Coordinate, prepare and supervise marketing programs to include direct mailing, advertising, digital and print ads, social media, trade show participation and collateral materials that support Odessa as a convention site, tourism and sports destination.
- Provide current convention, tourism and sports information to the community through the Chamber Journal, Calendar of Events, news releases, Discover Odessa website, kiosk located at Marriott Conference Center, Facebook, Instagram, Twitter and Linkedin.
- Maintain annual data regarding hotel room nights and estimated economic impact.
- Create and present monthly reports to Executive Committee and the Board of Directors.
- Oversee Discover Odessa communications and marketing and ensure consistent branding.
- Provide tours of community and area attractions.
- Increase number of visitors and hotel stays on an ongoing basis through a planned marketing program.
- Plan and oversee Certified Odessan Program.
- Create and present quarterly reports to the City Council.
- Provide staff for committee work as needed.
- Other duties as assigned.
SUPERVISORY RESPONSIBILITIES: Directly supervise employees at Discover Odessa. Carry out supervisory responsibilities in accordance with the organization's policies and applicable laws. Responsibilities include interviewing, recommending personnel to the President/CEO, and training employees; planning, assigning, directing and supervising work; appraising performance; rewarding and disciplining employees; addressing complaints and resolving problems.
QUALIFICATIONS: To perform this job successfully, an individual must be able to perform each essential duty satisfactorily. The requirements listed below are representative of the knowledge, skill, and/or ability required. Reasonable accommodations may be made to enable individuals with disabilities to perform the essential functions.
- Knowledge of use of hotel occupancy tax is preferred.
- Knowledge of tourism sales, marketing and techniques is preferred.
- Knowledge of overall community attractions, hotels and venues is preferred.
- Knowledge of procedures for scheduling trade shows, meetings and events is preferred.
EDUCATION and/or EXPERIENCE: Bachelor's degree (B. A.) required and two years related experience and/or training; or equivalent of 5 years combination of education and related experience.
LANGUAGE SKILLS: Ability to read, analyze, and interpret general business periodicals, professional journals, technical procedures, or governmental regulations. Ability to write reports, business correspondence, and procedure manuals. Ability to effectively present information and respond to questions from groups of managers, clients, customers, and the general public.
MATHEMATICAL SKILLS: Ability to add, subtract, multiply, and divide in all units of measure, using whole numbers, common fractions, and decimals. Ability to compute rate, ratio, and percent and to draw and interpret bar graphs.
REASONING ABILITY: Ability to solve practical problems and deal with a variety of concrete variables in situations where only limited standardization exists. Ability to interpret a variety of instructions furnished in written, oral, diagram, or schedule form.
OTHER SKILLS AND ABILITIES: Ability to use computer to run Microsoft 365 and spreadsheet programs and learn other programs as needed. Job requires frequent travel.
CERTIFICATES, LICENSES, REGISTRATIONS: Current Texas Driver's License.
PHYSICAL DEMANDS: The physical demands described here are representative of those that must be met by an employee to successfully perform the essential functions of this job. Reasonable accommodations may be made to enable individuals with disabilities to perform the essential functions.
While performing the duties of this job, the employee is regularly required to sit; use hands to finger, handle, or feel objects, tools, or controls. Sufficient dexterity to operate a computer keyboard or calculator. The employee is occasionally required to stand, walk, reach with hands and arms, climb or balance, and talk or hear. The employee must occasionally lift and/or move up to 50 pounds. Specific vision abilities required by this job include close vision, distance vision, color vision, peripheral vision, depth perception, and ability to adjust focus.
WORK ENVIRONMENT: The work environment characteristics described here are representative of those an employee encounters while performing the essential functions of this job. Reasonable accommodations may be made to enable individuals with disabilities to perform the essential functions.
While performing the duties of this job, the employee is occasionally exposed to outside weather conditions. The noise level in the work environment is usually moderate.